Monday, September 24, 2012

Cinnamon Rolls and Applesauce


Cinnamon and sugar filled, with maple icing
The lure of cinnamon rolls!

If we happened to have a child in our household that has found it incredibly difficult to get out of bed and get moving in the morning, then let me assure you, the lure of a homemade cinnamon roll with breakfast would work wonders! (Note, I say "if" we had that problem.  I would never post about such an issue on a public blog.  What kind of mother would I be?! *wink*)


Last week, I splurged.  I bought The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl and a set of 3 Goose Berry Patch cookbooks.
Orange marmalade and brown sugar filling with orange icing

One of my boys' favorite treats is a trip to a bakery for a fresh cinnamon roll.  So, when I saw The Pioneer Woman's cinnamon roll recipe, I knew I had to make them.  (The book gives a variation of the recipe, so I made some of both.  Please note: I cooked mine at 375 degrees and some were brown in as little as 13 minutes.  Also note, that the book states it makes 40 to 50. I made 42 - I will be freezing some today!)  These are so sweet and rich, one-half a roll will be a serving in our home.  They are absolutely delicious!!! Yum!

Espalier Apple Tree (with 4 types of apples)

I also harvested apples from our apple tree to make homemade applesauce!  I used the Brown Sugar Applesauce recipe from the Goose Berry Patch cookbook 101 Slow Cooker Recipes

The men in my home have not tried the applesauce yet.  In my opinion, it is a bit too sweet; however, I should note that we normally purchase unsweetened applesauce.  I made it to use in a granola recipe.  I will be sure to let you know how that turns out!

Applesauce - prior to mashing
Today, I will attempt the Honey-Mustard Short Ribs recipe in 101 Slow Cooker Recipes.   We purchased half of a beef, and I must admit that my grilling attempt with the first package of beef short ribs was not a big hit in our home.  (I think we prefer pork ribs over beef ribs; the beef short-ribs seemed so much greasier.)  So, I am hoping for the best tonight!  (However, if my family does not like it, the blame will fall on the particular cut of meat, not the recipe - which sounds yummy!)







No comments: